Saturday, June 24, 2017

Mt. Morris Challenge Recap

This is by far my favorite course of the WORS series.  With over 3,000 feet of climbing and four laps, this course will bring your legs to the edge of cramping or authenticise a good bonk!  The weather was a comfortable 80 with lots of sun.  Once again my son, Isaiah, came along to pass off bottles.  We checked in around 10:00am and picked up another bottle to add to the other hundred I have sitting around.











The course looked dry and fast as the Sport riders were warming up.  A few other locals were there from La Crosse and put on quite a show representing Smith's Bike Shop.  One stand out rider who goes by the name Chris (Froome) Stindt - "I made that one up" - made his first mtb race debut.  Chris is known for his "Froome like" climbing power and his soon to be - checked off his list - technical skills.  His result was an easy first in age class, 12 overall, and didn't even break a sweat.  Did he even pedal?  Nice work and maybe a future upgrade?

As the day progressed it was my turn to test out the dialed in Top Fuel.  Around 12:40pm I started my warm-up, made the heart jazzle a few times, did a few sections of the race course before call-ups, and then had to wait for the start of the race in the hot sun.  My plan was not to blow up on the start hill, but give it just enough to stay mid pack behind that Broken Spokes dude.  Plan worked until a rider crashed in front of me in the first section of real single track.  This caused quite the gap that would never get closed.  Rule number one when you have Pros pushing the pass:  ride over everything.  You'd think I would've learned that by now.  This could be a dog, snake, another rider, or maybe even another bike; just go right over it.

The first 3 laps were consistent times and I was passsing other riders and moving up quickly.  My 740mm handlebar was causing some issues tempting my fingers to stay glued to the breaks and almost directing a crash or two.  By the end of the third lap I had lost both my bar ends to crafty trees.

Once I reluctantly started my fourth lap,  I noticed my power was slowing decreasing and the bonk goblin settled in.  It's been a while since I've bonked at a WORS race, but it does happen.  What should have been a 30 minute lap turned into 40+ and was passed by several elite/pro riders before I got to the finish line.  I was still able to hold off all the comp racers and the pro women field, but was hurting something bad.  Rule number two:  never underestimate carbing up a week before an important race.  Still. it was a sweet day out in the woods.
Below is a great video Cole House representing and winner at the start of the Pro/1 Race.


Thanks to all my 2017 sponsors who have made this year possible#Crank Bros#Smith Optics#Vee Rubber#EVL Nutrition#Sock Guy#Judy's Umbrella#Esi Grips#and New sponsor Rokform. 

No comments:

Post a Comment