Tuesday, May 23, 2017

WORS #2 Iola Bump and Jump Race Report

My Yearly Plan states one of my goals is to make every race on the WORS 2017 schedule.  Leading up to the second WORS race, "Iola Bump and Jump," the state of Wisconsin had recieved many inches of rain concerning.  I've always ridden well in the rain and had learned this skill set the hard way over the years by damaging bike parts.  Like many racers, bike parts are not covered very well under seasonal sponsorship unless you are hooked up like a scare crow in a field of corn.

Days before the race I had dialed in my new 2017 Trek Top Fuel 9.8 SL and was excited to see how it would do on Iola's terrain.  However, all the rain and sand convinced me the morning of, all packed, and one foot in the van to stay home.  There was no way my Top Fuel would recieve this kind of Baptism that Sunday morning.


I stand by my choice as the results showed uncharactoristic placement of strong riders 25 to 40 minutes back by the end of the race.  This small detail shows the struggle to pedal through muck at high speeds, the need to get off the bike, and just unplanned mechanical problems caused by mud, sand, and crashing.  Maybe I should have armored up and taken the Scott Hard Tail?  But the result would have been the same - a cold, wet, muddy, sandy, and expensive maintenance mishap for 2:30 hours of work.

Skipping a race means I won't qualify for the WORS HEAD 2017 this year, but I still have plenty of opportunities to move up the boards, win cash, and have fun at future races.  Nationals are still a big possibility.  Congrats to the stong minded who braved the day and had FUN!  Until next year!


No comments:

Post a Comment